Duck Breast with Shallot Sauce
Updated: Feb 25, 2020
#iloveduck #paleo #ketofriendly #fivespicepowder #eatrealfood #nutrientdensewholefood #nutritionaltherapyassociation
Duck is something that I have to order whenever I see it on a restaurant menu. That is how much I love duck. I used to be intimidated to cook it in the past because I always thought that it belongs to some sort of fancy restaurant..... However, it is actually pretty easy and straightforward to pan sear a piece of duck breast. Here is how I do it :
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooking time : 40 mins
- 2 pieces of duck breast
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of 5 spice powder
- 4 cloves of shallots, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 teaspoon of pomegranate vinegar ( can be substituted with other vinegar)
- 1/2 cup of homemade chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon of non-irradiated organic onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of arrowroot powder or lotus root powder (optional)
1) Clean the duck, wipe it dry with kitchen towel. Marinate it with the salt and 5 spice powder. Set in the fridge for 30 mins or longer. If you want to prep it ahead, you can marinate it overnight too. Personally, I love to "massage" the marinate it into meat.. but that's just me.
2) Before cooking, score the skin of the duck so that the fats can be rendered out.
3) In a cold pan, put the skin side down and start with low heat to allow the fat to slowly render out. This may takes about 5 minutes. You would see lots of fats being rendered out. If not, cook it a little longer.
4) Flip to the other side, let it sear for another 5 minutes. You would see that they shrink quite a bit.
5) Transfer it to the oven set on 150C for 20 minutes.
6) Meanwhile, toss the shallots in to the leftover oil in the pan to brown it. Don't let it burn, pour in the chicken stock. Keep stirring.
7) Add in the vinegar, continue to stir
8) Add in the onion powder, keep stirring. If it becomes too dry, add in a little bit of water.
9) Lastly, add in the arrowroot or lotus root powder to thickens it. This is completely optional as it would not affect the taste.
10) Take the duck breast out from the oven, let it rest for about 5 minutes, then slices it. Serve with the sauce.
11) Nom nom nom.... enjoy, and be very proud of yourselves!
Comment below if you have any questions or please share how it goes : )
Disclosure: I will get a little reward from iHerb if you purchase the ingredients above through the attached link. You can also put in promo code " TNG135 " upon checking out. You would get an additional discount with this promo code if you are new to iHerb. Thank you for the support !